St. Mark's Cathedral ChurchCommercial Photography
Utah’s second oldest church, The Cathedral Church of St. Mark’s is the seat of the Episcopal Church in Salt Lake City. On Nov. 15, 1870, St. Mark’s Parish was formally organized, and services were held in the crypt of the unfinished building. The cathedral was consecrated on May 14, 1874. Transepts were added over the years, and the chancel and sanctuary were completed in 1901.
The church was quite a jump from the traditional Episcopal cathedrals of the period. Much of the design by Richard Upjohn was taken from his New York’s Trinity Church. But Utah’s cathedral was created to be uniquely Utahan with it’s fine red sandstone walls. With seating for only 500, the church is a much more intimate and much more accessible than many other cathedrals.
Perhaps the most beautiful aspect of the cathedral is it’s stained glass windows. Many of the beautiful images were created by Tiffany in New York. Nearly destroyed in an Easter 1935 fire, the remains for the windows were taken back to New York in suitcases and painstakingly restored.